What do you think when you hear the term social media?
Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn? Do you think of a mess of photos and irrelevant content that people Like and Share – perhaps a bunch of trivial comments and unnecessary exposure?
If this is the case, you should take a step back and realize that you may be underestimating the biggest communication phenomenon of the century – and maybe even picture the future of your business in relation to this landscape.
Let me tell you something: social media is not going anywhere! It is neither a trend nor a fad, and it has been present in our life since the 1970s – the time when computers were first networked to form digital bulletin boards. And this is not something we’ll soon forget about because real-time communication is fundamental to a world based on interaction!
Management and business activities are evolving, customers have grown more knowledgeable, Philip Kotler announced the beginning of Marketing 3.0 era. These are all signs that social media is the direct result of our new communication order!
But even though it has become a constant presence in our lives and has been implemented on all our devices, there are still a lot of people who don’t want to use it. Jason Falls identified 28 major reasons why companies are still afraid of using social media. I can give you at least 28 arguments about why you should embrace it – but I won’t bore you!
Instead, I’ve summarized the false beliefs companies use as an excuse to avoid social media in a few bullets, along with my refuting arguments:
- “Social media is only for young people.” Young people have constant access to the latest technology, the latest products and all the fresh businesses – all while your company is going the classical way? In a competitive market like ours, who do you think will win – the ones that have more exposure or the ones that remain stuck in traditional marketing attempts? While your regular clients are getting old, your potential clients are choosing your competition’s products based on recommendations from social media.
- “We don’t want to change our strategy that has brought us success.” Please read the first bullet again and think about this: while you are managing your business the old-fashioned way, the whole market is changing! Facebook added 100 million users in 9 months! This type of interconnection is changing the way the world works – and the way products and services are sold. Don’t miss the revolution – adapt your business before it’s too late!
- “We don’t know how to do it.” A lot of companies did not know what to do at the beginning. The good news is social media is about people – about your customers, your fans and friends. If you listen to their needs and deliver them the right message, they will do the rest and your reputation and exposure will grow in the limitless online sphere.
- “We would expose too much – people may say bad things about us!” This doesn’t mean they are not already saying bad things about you! Being on social media gives you the opportunity to react and interact directly with your customers. Getting close to your consumers gives soul to your business – a socially interactive approach that may result in potential ideas for further sales strategies and promotions. If handled correctly, think about all the good things they will be saying about you.
- “It costs us too much time to manage social profiles.” Some companies hire a social media expert to do that job, but that’s not necessary in all cases. If you don’t have time to chat on social media, just use a tool that optimizes your online activity – like SimplySocial. Along with social media, a whole new business field has risen to give you proper assistance.
- “Social media doesn’t give us guaranteed results.” You bet it does! There are many measurable results: gathering real-time insights, measuring brand awareness and traffic statistics, analyzing you and your competition’s evolution over time, recruiting new employees. 95% of companies using social media for recruitment use LinkedIn because a new member joins LinkedIn every second! 25% of internet traffic in the United States is dedicated solely to Facebook. 80% of consumers trust peer recommendation and only 14% trust traditional advertising!
Because we believe in online success, the SimplySocial platform was developed to combat social media fear! We have created a great customized tool that will give a voice and presence to your business. It’s not too late to start growing your online success – and we are here to help you!
Don’t be afraid. Your business deserves to be given an online chance.