It’s no secret that many activist investors are frustrated with the lack of financial literacy in the entrepreneurs of today. In my battle against the blank face in the boardroom, I’ve been following the work of Brad Feld, Jason Mendelson, and Fred Wilson (in addition to asking questions to some of our great investors). Some of these works can be a little overwheling however, with Fred Wilson’s MBA Mondays returning over 90 posts. Here are a few places to start followed by additional resources below:
Brad Feld’s Finance Fridays.
- Setting up your accounting system.
- Balance sheet and cash flow overview.
- Financial statements (examples, annotated).
- Revenue projections (and why to make them).
Jason Mendelson’s Convertible Debt Series.
- Conversion mechanics.
- Conversion in a sale of the company.
- Misc. terms.
- Early vs. late stage dynamics.
Brad Feld’s Term Sheet Tips.
Fred Wilson’s MBA Mondays.
- Profit and loss statement.
- Understanding the balance sheet.
- Understanding cash flow.
- Analyzing financial statements.
Fred Wilson’s Financing Options (part of MBA Mondays)
- AskTheVC model documents and standard forms.
- TechStarts open source documents.
- Others blogging about term sheets.
Any others? Please share in the comments below!